CKA Committee Meeting Minutes

Wednesday 22nd March 2017, 8.00pm, CRC





Chairman (Howard Laffling, Phoenix)

Secretary (Fiona Hill, Phoenix)

Treasurer (Philip Morton, Vikings)

Fixtures (Vacant)

Results (Mark Wassell, Phoenix)

Senior Development (Vacant)

Junior Development (Liv Harcourt, Tigers)

Refereeing (Adam Twiss, Vikings)

Coaching (Vacant)

Publicity (Gavin Belsham, City)

CPO (Angela Gibbs, Tigers)


City Rep(s) []

Lions Rep(s) []

Phoenix Rep(s) []

Tigers Rep(s) [Steve Clarke]

University Rep(s) [Sam Galvin]

Vikings Rep(s) [Martin Brown]


Philip to make SERL refund payments.


Philip to update accounts to show extra NL team – done.

Ed to circulate refereeing theory test details – done.

Angela to investigate a custom Safeguarding and protecting children course.


Mark to update the map on the CKA website Clubs page with a Google map – done.

City to pay CKA fees and an assortment of junior payments – done.

Howard to add 2015/16 accounts to the 2016/17 accounts and thus website - done.

Vikings to let Howard know the details of rearranged fixture - done.

Clubs to input results of all fixtures played up to and including on Sunday 22nd January by Sunday 29th January – done.

Clubs to check if any of their members wish to sit the refereeing theory test and let Howard know in the first instance - done.

Howard to advise MK Lakers of 28th February deadline to reschedule postponed fixtures - fixtures rescheduled.

Clubs to confirm their training times, locations and logos were correct on the website – done.

Clubs to circulate recruitment poster to all their members – done.




Junior player:
Jonny Potter (Tigers)
was approved to play in the CKL.

The junior shirt cost was £1,166.34, slightly higher than the agreed figure of £1,126.80. This was due to a one off setup cost for the badge embroidery and a delivery charge.


Nothing to report.


Accounts attached.

There is still the refund for SERL that I haven't processed (but I promise I will before the next meeting).
I have contacted CRC about a revised invoice for December and am still waiting. The invoice for Feb has just arrived and will be processed shortly.
I still need a revised invoice for the junior shirts but I'll sort that out with Liv.

FIXTURES (vacant):

No report.


Nothing to report.


(Howard) Carla has organised 2 more senior Cambridgeshire training
sessions :
Saturday 22nd April 11am – 12.30pm CRC
Friday 05 May 7 – 8pm CRC

See item 3.


It was noted that Liv has created a Facebook page for Cambridgeshire Youth Korfball which people are encouraged to ‘Like’ for updates and information.


(Howard) 6 people sat the theory test : 3 Uni, 2 Vikings, 1 City. All failed, some only by a few marks. I'm analysing the results to see where the misunderstandings were and I'm going to try to organise a targeted theory course, using slides from Adam Twiss's introductory to refereeing course and Graham Crafter's refereeing course, and another theory test.

COACHING (Vacant):

No report.


(Howard) Alex Carmichael (City) appeared on Sam Edward's BBC Radio Cambridgeshire show on Saturday, 11th March talking about korfball.


Nothing to report.


(Gavin) Opinions were sought on the proposal for rolling subs to be implemented in division 1 as a trial. The benefits being that it is easier to share game time between players and give developing players experience with the opportunity for feedback. The potential problems are that it is difficult for referees to record and difficult for status calculations purposes. Careful consideration would need to be given to what info would be collected in scorecards and how this could/would be used.
In principle, everyone is happy to consider this as a trial. It was agreed that Gavin would contact clubs for their initial reactions and ideas for how to implement. Gavin will then put forward a proposal with details of status, scorecard information etc to be voted on at the agm.


2. THE CKA IS 25 IN 2018

Howard highlighted that in 2018, the CKA will be 25 years old. It was agreed this should be marked with a tournament or public event. This should be kept in mind going forward and early organisation and planning undertaken. To be discussed again at future meetings.


The senior development targets were discussed.

The google doc of events in Cambridgeshire is likely to be useful in the coming months. Members are reminded to add any relevant dates to the document.

The timing for promoting the recruitment week was a little bit tight in the end, and so clubs reported they had not seen a large turnout of new players. It was agreed however, that it is very useful to have the poster ready for future attempts and which can be shared continually in the meantime.

Further to Ed’s previous advise about potentially advertising to graduating students, Sam advised that some korfball clubs place adverts within BUCS (British University and Colleges Sport) promotional bulletins. Sam agreed to investigate this to see if it is an option we could pursue next year. Sam also advised that it could be worth posting in the BUCS Facebook group to reach the same target audience.


Create a list of summer tournaments that could be targeted for attendance by a cross-CKA team.

It was suggested that a Doodle poll could be used to gauge interest in tournaments, which would be circulated by clubs to all members so that each player can express their interest. Coordinators can see the number of players available.

Coordinate a team for the inter area competition. This could include team training beforehand.

Carla’s training sessions continue to be well attended and successful, and she is hopeful of entering a team.


Next meeting will be in mid-June.